Saturday, October 23, 2010

However, all is not right in the #e-publishing and #Kindle paradise.



That, my friends, is the Kindle. An item so good at what it does, it is well on the way to being the generic name of the activity it facilitates, namely reading books that you do not physically own. What do I mean? The Kindle allows you to buy books digitally, not by some physical medium as primitive as say, oh, paper? It does this nearly seamlessly.

However, all is not right in the #e-publishing and #Kindle paradise.

Are you ready for this? The Nook, from Barnes and Noble, has some significant advantages, some I don't think Mr. Bezos or his team care about or are not possibly aware of. Yep, I said it, in some ways, the #Nook is a more #fully-realized product.

I spent part of a sunny So. California afternoon recently in the waiting room of my local Mazda dealer. I met a extremely passionate devotee of the Nook, who just happens to be a major influencer/decider (code for VIP) at the top aircraft fastener company in the world. I promised her the same anonymity as myself in writing about her take on e-books and e-publishing in general, and specifically, why she proudly bought a Nook and defends it to all who ask why.

what a fascinating conversation! Tune in later for the reasons I believe the Nook has a niche following that could grow significantly over the near-term.

No comments: